Hi All- this one is for everyone who has suffered through some of my sad posts about my nephew, Nathan.
In the time since he has been living with his Dad, some amazing things have happened.
Here is a short but meaningful list.
1) Nathan uses eating utensils now most of the time and is still learning to go for a napkin before he automatically uses his shirt or pants. Not that different from most 9 year olds!
2) He has learned to respect peoples personal space much more.
3) The 'needy' vibe is way lower.
4) Nathan speaks of things other than video games and transformers. He still loves these things, but his world has gotten much bigger.
5) Nathan's vocabulary has exploded! He uses great big grown up words with tremendous regularity.
6) He is learning about what he loves and is interested in. It is amazing to watch him be a normal kid who doesn't spend all his time 'gauging' Mom's current mood. One fabulous example of this is when we took him to a local music museum. The stuff on display wasn't all that interesting for him, but something magical happened when he put on a pair of headphones in a room that houses all kinds of Jimi Hendrix memorabilia. His face lit up and he declared that "you've gotta hear this. This is really good stuff." His Dad told me that he was pretty sure that Nathan had never heard any Jimi Hendrix music before. A couple of days later, at the baseball game, Purple Haze was played in the stadium and Nathan immediately recognized that "great guitar stuff" again.
Just exactly how blessed am I to be able to witness this amazing transformation? Yup, hope springs eternal.