Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Growing Pains

How come being authentic has to be so darn painful sometimes???

Anyway.  I stuck to my word.  Here's the proof.



Maybe by being open and honest about my politics, I'm asking for anything that comes my way. 

And I thought I was just being brave and hoping that maybe others would see that they are not alone here in the land of  'only leftist politics allowed'.  Silly me.

So far... one of my neighbors has accosted me with a screechy speech about the Koch brothers.  Another neighbor has informed me that she feels guns should be reserved only for those who live 'out in the country'.  And last night when I picked up a friend to take her to a basketball game, she actually asked me if I had put my dogs on the roof of my car during my last trip to California.

I kid you not.  These are completely real comments.  Including the one from someone who is supposed to be my friend.  Oh and then there's the guy who flipped me off on the freeway while gesturing fervently toward my bumper...

To neighbor #1 I answered by telling him that if he wanted to have any kind of real open conversation, he would have to pick a better opening line. 

To neighbor #2 I told her that we would have to just agree to disagree.  I really didn't know what else to say.  Believe it or not, I've never actually thought to question the second amendment.

As to my friend's rude dog comment, I simply told her that I take plenty of abuse from all the wonderfully tolerant souls here in our fair city of Seattle and I felt that was enough.  I didn't need to take any extra abuse from my friends. 

She got real quiet.  Real fast.

I'm not gonna' lie.  This is not easy.  It's just as bad as I thought it might be.

But I'd rather be honest than popular.  And I'm still smiling.  And glad I decided to do this. 

Even through the tears...

10 comments:

  1. Right there with ya!
    I found that as soon as I made mention of my political views, many changed their tone twords me! Sad, how something like political views can turn even a "friend" into an "enemy".

    I try to keep my political views to myself but sometimes I just can't.
    Got another bumper sticker? :)

    In this house we are voting for anyone other than who is in right now! Could be Mickey Mouse for all I care!

    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let others intimidate you - that's how they win. They silence us with their hate speech. We have let them do this for too long. You have California as your perfect example of why liberal methods don't work. If the "tax and spend" method worked, California would be a good example but it's not. Look at the cities out there that are bankrupt. One defining quality of liberals is their arrogance. They preach tolerance and being inclusive until someone doesn't agree with them. Get mad and stay that way. Your answers to those people were great. Remember - you are the one who is "right". Take care and stick to your guns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Their reaction to you quietly expressing your opinion speaks LOADS to their character.

    Just...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really confused. How are The Koch Brothers Romney's problem? Or even a Republican problem? As for the rest, I think you handled all of them really well. You really are in the middle of Liberal Central. These are issues of respect. If these people want you to respect their views, they need to yours. It really is as simple as that. Anyway, it sounds like you are doing great so far. Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is a Republican problem in this town, according to the liberals. If I let it get to me, I would lose my mind....

      Delete
  5. Jasmine: I just went through this with Judie from Rogue Artists (http://rogueartistsspeak.blogspot.com/). I met her and she is a cool lady. I like her very much, I respect her, and I am highly in favor of Constitutionally protected free speech.

    However, I was somewhat taken back by the responders to her latest post. I am politically Independent. I am not sure that words like "clown" or "fool" help anyone to convince me that a candidate for the Presidency is the right man or woman for the job.

    I love open-minedness, so if you are down to one follower, it will be me. Please check out my reply and tell me if I sound like a stupid, un-caring guy.

    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh JJ, never- not at all- could you be considered a stupid uncaring guy. I think back to when I first 'met' you online at your blog and thought right away that you would be just like all the mean liberals I deal with on a daily basis. Boy was I wrong!
      I read the blog that you are referring to today and then the comments. Yours was way more fair than most.
      I struggle with many of the same things that you do. I don't have a whole lot of worries about social issues- other than the fact that I don't really care how an unborn human being came to be, there is nothing and no one that could make me kill it. So my issues are mainly fiscal and of course my 'freedom freak' mode.
      I won't pretend to know everything about any candidate or expect any candidate to be perfect. I just don't like where things are going and I'm scared of losing what makes America great.
      But I won't be letting fear rule me either. (Done that enough for this lifetime.) I still believe that America will get it right eventually. If not this election, then soon. We have to move in a better direction or we will get everything we deserve by failing to do so.

      Delete
  6. it is a world gone mad...brainwashed into wishful media thinking that we all deserve a wonderful easy free life..
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...